Really? Chiropractic … who knew?
Would you think to see a Chiropractor for heart health?
When it comes to health or disease prevention, heart health is foremost on our minds. It is a well-known fact that cardiovascular disease is the number one cause of death in the United States. For most, prevention means diet and exercise. For the researched few, incorporation of chiropractic care into a healthy lifestyle has proved wonders. For the scientific community, studies and reports substantiating the benefits of chiropractic care in the fight against heart disease are staggering.
What is the relationship between chiropractic care and cardiovascular disease?
In a renowned article from the Medical Times published in 1921, Dr. Henry Winsor performed an amazing study in which he dissected human and cat cadavers. After hearing claims that people had improvements in health after receiving chiropractic care, Dr. Winsor took it upon himself to see if he could find a correlation between spinal subluxations (misalignments) and subsequent organ malfunction. As a result, he found 221 diseased organs and traced the nerve supply of these organs to the area of the spine supplying nerves to said organs. All 20 cases of heart and pericardium conditions had the upper five thoracic vertebrae (T1-T5) misaligned. 1
Misaligned vertebrae block vital flow of nerve supply and energy to the body. The objective of chiropractic is to correct these misalignments improving or enhancing nerve function. This can lead to significant improvement with many diseases including cardiovascular disease. Chiropractic is the largest, most regulated, and recognized profession in the complementary medicine field. Many studies have shown that chiropractic treatment is both safe and effective. Doctors of chiropractic are uniquely trained to recognize the existence of this flow to determine a connection to health problems. 2
Case Studies: Chiropractic Benefits to Heart Health
Improved Blood Pressure – It is well known that achievement of blood pressure goals in more than 70% of hypertensive individuals requires two or more antihypertensive agents. Yet, based on the most recent data, blood pressure control in the US has not improved significantly. In a double blind, randomized study with a placebo control, patients were assessed to determine the effect of chiropractic on blood pressure. Conclusion: Alignment of the first cervical vertebrae is associated with marked and sustained reductions in blood pressure similar to the use of two-drug combination therapy. 3
Improved Heart Nerve Function – A study performed on 40 healthy patients (25-55 years old) was conducted measuring diastolic and pulse pressure before and after adjustments of the cervical and thoracic spine. Results: diastolic pressure dropped significantly, pulse pressure and autonomic tone were normalized. 4 This means there was improvements to the background rate of activity for body functions you don’t need to think about for : the Autonomic Nervous System. This system supplies internal organs including blood vessels and heart function.
Decreases Blood Markers of Inflammation – There is a link between inflammation and high risk of cardiovascular events. A study of 21 participants assigned to either a treatment or control group revealed that after only 9 chiropractic adjustments, a decrease was shown in blood markers of inflammation [interleukin-6 (IL-6) and C-reactive protein (CRP)] causing a normalization response in individuals suffering from chronic low back pain. 5
Due to reduction in pain and improved mobility, chiropractic care can reduce the need for steroids and pain medication. Steroid medications have major effects on the metabolism of calcium, vitamin D and bone. This can lead to bone loss, osteoporosis and susceptibility to fractures. 6, 7
Did you know?
- Chronic low back pain is associated with a higher prevalence of lifetime myocardial infarction and coronary heart disease. Based on a cross-sectional study of 2,148 twins, it is possible that this association remains even when controlling for genetics and early shared environment. 8
- Recognition of life threatening conditions is a critical part of the education of Chiropractors. Based on a survey, chiropractic physicians frequently report encountering undiagnosed life-threatening conditions in the normal course of practice. 9
- The Annals of Vertebral Subluxation Research shows a case study on a 54 year old man who drastically improved his HDL, LDL and triglyceride levels with chiropractic care alone, meaning no other changes to diet or physical activity.
What are you waiting for?
Even the most minor spinal misalignments can cause innumerable problems in the body, including heart related issues. Dr. Deanna Barbaro has been practicing Chiropractic Biophysics in Naples for the past 19 years. Your first visit which will include a thorough history, postural examination, range of motion studies and specific X-Rays to identify spinal misalignments and a plan of action to aid in your overall health, wellness and prevention of diseases associated with spinal subluxation. Call (239) 263-3369 to schedule your first visit
- Winsor, H., Sympathetic Segmental Disturbances- 11. The Evidence of the Association in Dissected Cadaver of Visceral Disease with Vertebral Deformities of the Same Sympathetic Segments, Medical Times, 49 1-7 Nov. 1921!
- Journal of Human Hypertension 2007 (May); 21 (5): 347–35
- J Chiropr Med. 2008 Sep;7(3):86-93.
- J Chiropr Med. 2010 Sep;9(3):107-14
- J Can Chiropr Assoc. 2013 Mar; 57(1): 42–48.
- PLoS One. 2016 May 12;11(5):e0155194. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0155194. eCollection 2016.
- Chiropr Man Therap. 2012 Jul 5;20:21. doi: 10.1186/2045-709X-20-21